Kanopi is a distributed agency - meaning that we get the job done from our homes, from a co-working space or coffee shop - wherever we do our best work. We are collaborative and are dedicated to creating awesome websites for our clients.
Benefits of Working at Kanopi
Work where and when you do your best. It's about feeling connected to others, having a flexible schedule and staying healthy.
Since we are not limited by walls, our ability to hire the best is limitless. Collaborate, learn and surround yourself with a strongly skilled and diverse team.
Love to see the world? (so do we). Just find a place with good wifi, get connected and make great work happen!
Life at Kanopi
No Hard Office Hours
Travel Anytime, Anywhere!
Work with Top Talent
Participate in and Attend Conferences
Be part of a Collaborative and Mentoring Culture
Love for Kanopi
“Having coded remotely for almost 20 years as either a solopreneur or lone remote worker in an otherwise office-based company, working with the entirely distributed Kanopi team has been really satisfying. Working for a company that structures itself accordingly has made me happier. Happiness makes us productive, and being distributed makes us dynamic. You might say we are naturally agile.”
Senior Drupal Engineer
“It’s great working where the people you work with care. They are interested in you as a person, help you in your growth as a professional, and encourage and support on a daily basis.”
Drupal Support Engineer
“Kanopi Studios is the third company I've worked for remotely, and it is by far the best! What sets Kanopi worlds apart is the team communication. Kanopi's team is excellent in staying in touch via Slack and daily team calls, plus a monthly video chat. Our Slack channels aren't all work either- we have plenty of fun going on. Anne does an amazing job balancing work and play for our team an encouraging daily communication. I love working remotely for the benefits it provides my family, but I previously always missed the social aspect of an in-office environment. At Kanopi, I no longer do!”
Drupal Designer & Themer
Ready to join?
Review our Open Positions below!
Freelance or Contract-to-Hire Full Stack Drupal Developer
As a Full Stack Drupal Developer, you will build highly performant, dynamic, and beautiful websites in Drupal. You are responsible for building the site architecture, developing custom components, and translating an effective, responsive design into a working theme. This position requires a combination of proficient programming skills and aesthetic judgment.
You will have knowledge of full-stack Drupal development, as well as a variety of website industry concepts, practices, and procedures. A wide degree of self-direction, creativity, and latitude is expected. You will work on a contractual and/or per-project basis, with the potential for full-time employment at a future date.
At Kanopi, development is executed in an energized, collaborative, distributed environment. You will rely on your extensive experience and to estimate and execute projects. You will take direction from the Director of Engineering.
- Write clean, well-documented code
- Adhere to performance, configuration, and development best practices
- Create custom modules and plugins, debug and patch core components, and understand the source code of the systems you work with
- Leverage industry-standard DevOps workflows and tools
- Capably problem-solve in both a team setting and individually as required by the project
- Design and develop code architecture that promotes reuse, readability, and best-practice coding standards
- Understand core principles of server and application architecture to create highly-performant and scalable features
- Passionately keep pace with rapid innovation in web technologies
- Work collaboratively with developers at Kanopi to leverage and share community knowledge before diving deep into individual discovery or building custom solutions
- Develop and enhance custom Drupal modules, adhering to community and company best practices, and demonstrating a deep understanding of the Drupal API
- Maintain a professional yet personable demeanor. You must be able to represent yourself and Kanopi Studios to our clients, other members of your team, and to open-source communities at large
- Document modules and build processes throughout the development lifecycle to ensure project transparency and maintainability
- Provide accurate time estimates, accounting, and reporting of own work.
- Inform your PM as soon as you uncover scope creep, a change, an oddity or even a gut feeling that is going to impact the project
- Avoid siloed communication by ensuring development team conversations stay within appropriate communication channels
- Exhibit strong communication and collaboration skills
- Log time and provide accurate documentation daily
- Experience developing web solutions in Drupal and PHP implementations in a LAMP environment
- Experience building responsive, user-friendly websites using Drupal
- Deep understanding of principles of web accessibility and usability and their execution
- Experience with front-end frameworks and build methodologies
- Experience optimizing site performance for mobile devices
- Advanced site-building experience including deep familiarity with Drupal modules such as CTools, Views, and Panels
- Experience creating custom Drupal modules
- Experience engineering Drupal modules and applications for performance, scalability, and extensibility
- Experience with PHP object-oriented design patterns and frameworks
- Experience defining and executing automated PHP unit testing
- Extensive knowledge of the Drupal theme layer
- Understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing)
- Experience working in a freelance capacity within a creative agency environment
- Experience working with distributed project teams
- Able to work under pressure on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with WordPress preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline preferred (but not necessary)
- Passion for the web, for open source development, and for working with a bunch of fun people while maintaining a great sense of humor
Sales / Business Development Manager
The Sales / Business Development (BD) Manager plays a critical role in cultivating lasting, satisfying, creative, and profitable business opportunities and client relationships for Kanopi Studios. The ideal candidate will work on developing outreach and sales strategies alongside the Company’s CEO, while independently moving those plans forward, turning them into partnerships and profit for the Company.
The BD Manager will align their efforts with the wider goals of the Company, supporting those goals by securing and establishing trusting partnerships with new clients; understanding their brands, business models, needs, capabilities, and budgets. Armed with this understanding, the BD Manager will employ a proactive, solutions-based approach to building new business partnerships, and nurture opportunities for further growth after completing new business projects. All the while, they will evangelize Kanopi’s core values, deepening strategic and critical thinking as they become more seasoned in the role.
- Taking ownership of business development relationships; working independently, but comfortable with hands-on management.
- Working collaboratively with managers and other team members to brainstorm and develop sales tactics and presentations.
- Assessing client needs against Kanopi reality, and building timetables and plans accordingly.
- Constructing pitch logistics, and autonomously leading presentations to clients.
- Supporting the CEO by developing winning new business proposals, RFIs, and RFPs.
- Meeting or exceeding business development revenue targets.
- Creating new relationships that engage clients and project teams.
- Developing creative assets and other sales documents.
- Developing SOWs in conjunction with the Build and/or Support Teams.
- Experience leading the Business Development process for a website development agency
- Strong understanding of Kanopi Service and Support offerings, and how those offerings benefit potential clients
- 2-3 years working in a website development agency environment in a BD Lead capacity
- Experience creating Business Development assets, including but not limited to - capabilities presentations and case studies.
- Bachelor’s degree in General Business, Marketing, or related field. A combination of experience and education accepted.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to motivate, persuade, and manage a broad range of personalities.
- Successful time management skills
- Proven ability to develop long lasting business relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and ambition with a pro-active attitude.
- Willingness to travel 2-3x month during conference season (Spring to early Fall).
- Strong network in open source industry preferred.
- Experience working remotely in sales positions.
- Deep understanding of website strategy, design, and development project lifecycle.
- Very comfortable on the phone and committed to cold calling a minimum of 10 calls per day, every day.
- Attention to detail with digital paper management.
- Personable, friendly, honest, and kind.
- Desire to create value for clients and improve their experience with Kanopi Studios.
Senior Website Project Manager / Producer
As a Senior Website Project Manager, you will bring cutting-edge user experiences to life through digital capabilities. You will work closely with a Professional Services team and with management to flawlessly ensure timelines, budgets, and all technical development are on track. It will be your responsibility to collaborate with management to create account plans for a variety of accounts. You will also take responsibility for the day-to-day execution of project solutions for academic institutions, nonprofits, and large and small businesses. You will report to the CEO.
Project/Practice Management Responsibilities
- Manages day-to-day operational aspects of a project and scope
- Gathers project requirements in order to develop project estimates and SOWs
- Creates and executes project plans, revising as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements
- Generates actionable To-do’s for both the internal and client teams, and diligently follows-up to ensure the project or financials are not risked
- Collaborates with technical leads to identify resources and assign individual responsibilities
- Makes strategic internal decisions to ensure the delivery of polished, well-executed, and detailed deliverables
- Removes ambiguity and blockers, and motivates the team to make great choices regarding the execution of their deliverables
- Reviews deliverables prepared by team to ensure they meet project and business goals before presenting to clients
- Applies waterfall, agile, or a hybrid of both project management methodologies, while enforcing project standards
- Minimizes Kanopi’s risk on projects
- Ensures project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately
- Assists with proposal efforts including project scoping, level of effort assessments and project plan development
- Identifies business development and "add-on" sales opportunities, such as support or additional phases for new scope
- Works to build positive relationships with client teams
- Identifies areas of scope creep and build plans for Change Orders or additional phases, as well as opportunities for upselling within the project or for site support after sites launch
Project Accounting and Financial Management Responsibilities
- Ensures timeline and budget accountabilities are appropriately transparent; shifts to either are documented and the appropriate course of action is taken (i.e. Change Orders are issued with cost and/or timeline implications)
- Builds and executes detailed project plans, indicating client and internal responsibilities and accountabilities
- Understands the internal team’s needs throughout the project life cycle
- Ensures internal reviews and revisions of deliverables are properly managed for team success
- Utilizes resources efficiently
- Distills and communicates internal team needs to the client in an organized way
- Reviews a scope of work and strategizes (with team collaboration as appropriate) how to best use the budget to execute a successful project
- Provides sound and anticipatory project organization, articulation, and assumptions as needed for sales proposals
- Ensures proper checkpoints are in place for budget validation throughout the project life cycle (i.e. ensuring developers are reviewing UX and designs effectively)
- Takes responsibility for logging accurate time against projects in a timely manner
- Tracks and reports team hours and project expenses internally and in a client-friendly format as appropriate
- Communicates actual vs. estimated hours to Management Team
- Monitors and manages project budget
- Facilitates change logs and change orders to allocate additional budget when applicable
- Understands basic revenue models, P/L, and cost-to-completion projections, and makes decisions accordingly
- Proactively identifies, advocates, and acts on areas for internal and process improvement
- Grows long-lasting partner relationships with clients
- Clearly-written communication documents and disseminates recaps, meeting notes, and agendas for client calls to ensure there is a paper trail of needs, blockers, risks, decisions, changes in scope, and approvals
- Provides a strong voice of reason and leadership during difficult or complex project negotiations
- Participates in team and client meetings effectively and efficiently
- Keeps project team well informed of project changes, changes within the organization that affects our daily operations
- Effectively communicates relevant project information to management
- Delivers engaging, informative, well-organized presentations
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully
- Effectively conveys our message and approach in both written and verbal communications
- Be the key subject matter expert of your project’s scope to ensure the team is well aware of what is in and what is out of scope - ensure the team is not building in out-of-scope options unintentionally or communicated to the client as if they were in-scope
Website Development Understanding
- Possesses an understanding in the areas of web development and user experience design
- Maintains awareness of new and emerging technologies and industry best practices to potentially be applied on client engagements
- Understands at a high level the abilities and limitations of industry standard technologies
- Experience leading website development teams in a professional agency setting
- Strong project management and client relationship - building skills
- Insights about technology trends and solutions
- Experience supervising and leading a high-performance team of developers
- In-depth management experience with WordPress & Drupal
- Experience managing and working with distributed project teams
- Proven problem-solving abilities, intelligence, and initiative
- Ability to thrive under pressure
- Experience translating complex technical concepts and challenges to business solutions into layman’s terms for non-technical client audiences
- Ability to manage cross-functional teams that incorporate dev, QA, contract resources, and non-technical account team members
- Passion for the web and open source development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Project Management and methodology exposure (waterfall, agile, scrum)
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in related discipline preferred
- Passion for the web, open source development, and working with a bunch of fun people with a great sense of humor
- Must be able to legally work in Canada or the US
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by those assigned to this classification. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by those occupying this position. The job description and job functions described herein are subject to possible modification by Kanopi Studios in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
No agencies, recruiters or overseas applicants.